Street, Sanitation, Recycling Dept.
Street & Sanitation Department
305 E. Head Street Jefferson, IA 50129
Hours Available: Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. -
Street Department 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. - The Street Department has three employees and is responsible for all street maintenance including street sweeping; patching; traffic signs; paint striping and markings; equipment maintenance and repair; removal of dead or diseased trees in the city right of way; in addition to snow and ice removal and mosquito control.
Bill McDowell & Kenny Schmidt
The Sanitation Department is operated by two employees and provides garbage pickup five days a week. The city is divided into three sections with each section being pickup on their own day. This department also provides yard waste, appliance, and e-waste pickup on the same day as your garbage pickup. This department also helps in street department functions. Dumpster rentals are available, on a temporary rental basis, by calling City Hall at 515-386-3111.
FREE RESIDENTIAL DUMPSTER IN LIEU OF SPRING & FALL FREE CLEANUPS
In place of the City-wide clean-up weeks the City will be offering a year-round service. The City will have dumpsters for residents to utilize free of charge for a period of one week. Residents will be allowed 4 yards of garbage/junk to be collected at no charge which is 1 yard more than previously allotted. Any additional dumps of the dumpster will be billed at standard collection rates. The dumpster may be used for household items, junk, garbage, small items of furniture and building materials. Heavy items such as roofing shingles or drywall are acceptable, but they can only fill up to one-half of the container. Items placed in the dumpster must fit within the dumpster and cannot extend above the top or extend past the sides of the dumpster. Larger items such as furniture or mattresses can be placed curbside and normal collection fees apply to those items.
Items that are not acceptable in the dumpster are toxic, hazardous or flammable materials, pesticides, herbicides, solvents, gasoline, motor oil, paints, batteries, tires, concrete, appliances, televisions, monitors and yard waste. The customer is responsible for any additional landfill fees if these items are contained in the load. Appliances and other electronics cannot be placed in the dumpsters but can be placed curbside year-round on the resident’s regular garbage collection day. Normal collection fees will apply to those items.
The following items can be put out weekly on your normal garbage day for an extra fee.
- Refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, air conditioner units & equipment, all other appliances or equipment containing Freson- $40.00
- Stoves, microwaves, washers, dryers, hot water heaters, furnaces, dishwashers, humidifiers, and other appliances not containing Freon- $25.00
- Chairs, recliners, hide-a-beds, sofas, love seats, & other items of comparable size- $10.00
- Carpeting & pads (12' x 12')- $20.00
- Computer mouse, circuit board, CD-rom drive, hard drive, keyboard, pair of speakers, cellular phone, pager, external modem, external drive, network hub or router, laptop battery, telephone, CPU for desktop computer, VCR, typewriter, TV, and fax machine- $5.00
- Computer monitor less than 19", printers, servers, laptop, scanner- $20.00
- Computer monitor greater than 19", cash registers- $30.00
- Photocopier- $50.00
Recycle Department 515-386-3252 - This department is operated by one employee. The recyclables are picked up every other week, (2024 Recycling Calendar) with drop boxes in the surrounding communities. Please follow the following rules for recycling:
- Break down all cardboard for in town curbside pickup and all drop box locations.
- No Styrofoam or packing products can be recycled.
- No Amazon mailer envelopes.
- Please rinse all cans and glass jars.
- All recycling in drop boxes must be loose and not in garbage bags.
- If you are in doubt about whether it should be recycled, please consult the Recycling Guidelines or throw it in the garbage.
For more information about recycling, please watch this video: Recycling 101