Street, Sanitation, Recycling Dept.
Street & Sanitation Department
305 E. Head Street
Jefferson, IA 50129
Monday through Friday
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. - Street Department
6 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Sanitation Department
The Street Department has three employees and is responsible for all street maintenance including street sweeping; patching; traffic signs; paint striping and markings; equipment maintenance and repair; removal of dead or diseased trees in the city right of way; in addition to snow and ice removal and mosquito control.
The Traffic Operations Division is responsible for the placement of the necessary traffic signs, traffic signals, informational signs, banners, and temporary traffic controls needed for parades, special events, or as requested by the police department. This division is also responsible for the painting of the traffic control lines, cross walks, parking stalls and handicap parking decal placement in the respective parking spaces.
The Sanitation Department is operated by two employees and provides garbage pickup five days a week. The city is divided into three sections with each section being pickup on their own day. This department also provides yardwaste, appliance, and e-waste pickup on the same day as your garbage pickup. This department also helps in street department functions. Dumpster rentals are available, on a temporary rental basis, by calling City Hall at 515-386-3111.
Each year the city has a spring and fall clean-up to get rid of those unsightly items that accumulate on our properties each year. The regular fees are charged for appliances and e-waste. Due to the landfill fees that apply, appliances and e-waste can be set out at the curb on your normal garbage collection day.
What is E-Waste?
Computer mouse, circuit board, CD-rom drive, hard drive, keyboard, pair of speakers, cellular phone, pager, external modem, external drive, network hub or router, laptop battery, telephone, CPU for desktop computer, VCR, typewriter, TV, and fax machine just to name a few.
515-386-3252 - This department is operated by one employee. The recyclables are picked up every other week, (Recycling Calendar) with drop boxes in the surrounding communities.
Please follow the following rules for recycling:
- Break down all cardboard for in town curbside pickup and all drop box locations.
- No Styrofoam or packing products can be recycled.
- No Amazon mailer envelopes.
- Please rinse all cans and glass jars.
- All recycling in drop boxes must be loose and not in garbage bags.
- If you are in doubt about whether it should be recycled, please consult the Recycling Guidlines or throw it in the garbage.
For more information about recycling, please watch this video: Recycling 101
- Recycling Guidelines (PDF)
- Recycling Calendar (PDF)
- Chapter 135: Streets and Sidewalks (PDF)
- Chapter 151: Trees (PDF)
- Tire Drop-off for the Residents of Jefferson 2019 (PDF)
- Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off 2019 (PDF)
- Garbage Changes for the Residents of Jefferson (PDF) - Effective September 3, 2019